This training offers an intensive exploration of traditional women's ritual dances, within the supportive environment of an ongoing closed group. These dances have survived since ancient times, carrying messages of connection, joy, sustainability and healing that are still relevant - even essential - to our lives today. Often they embody sacred patterns connected to the archetypal image of the Great Mother Goddess, who was revered throughout the same geographical area where the dances have their roots and still survive. The dances can be seen both as a nonverbal language and as a form of spiritual practice; through loving attention to their style, symbolism, and history, we can learn to listen to this language and bring its hidden wisdom once again into the world.
The curriculum includes:
• Traditional Balkan, Rom, Armenian, & Greek women's dances
• Archaeological images and antique textiles as they relate to the dance
• The secret language of dance steps, song words and textile motifs
• Basic teaching skills in the transmission of traditional dance material
• Dances of exile and homecoming, and the invitiation to return to the inner homeland of the dancing body
• Middle Eastern Garden, a creative movement meditation for women
• Relevant teachings of women spiritual guides from diverse traditions
I have been developing this training since 2001 and have trained hundreds of women in numerous groups in Germany, Austria, Sweden and the USA. The training is designed equally for teachers and for dancers committed to deepening their skill and understanding of dance.
The next German-speaking trainings will run from 2016-18 in Bad Herrenalb, Germany. Dates and information can be found on the German trainings page (click here). The next English-language training will begin in October 2017 on Vancouver island on the West Coast of Canada. The dates will be:
Oct 5-9, 2017
Mar 21-25, 2018
July 4-8, 2018
Nov 9-12, 2018
Mar 20-24, 2019